Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Is In Camera Sharpness the Devil? See If You Can Tell

Is In Camera Sharpness the Devil? See If You Can Tell Video Clips. Duration : 4.67 Mins.


www.learningdslrvideo.com In this test I am going to be switching from A to B, and your job at the end of the video is to decide if you can tell which one A or B was sharpened in camera or done in post processing. For this test I will be using the 720p resolution, I will explain why later. Each comparison will use the same settings except one of them will have the sharpness in camera turned to 3 or the sharpness turned down to 0 and sharpening added in post to match. For all these tests I shot this in the neutral picture style with the contrast at 1, I have not added any post processing except for sharpening for the appropriate clips. I watch all the top people in the industry from Philip Bloom to Vincent LaForet and most seem to say that in camera processing is the devil or evil or something like that and they advise to turn it all the way down. Since I like to test everything I can, I wanted to put this to the test as well. From what I gather from these top people is that the small chip inside the camera that applies the sharpening is not as good as what your computer can do in post. Now the reason I am shooting at 720p is because of aliasing or moire patterns. Since the camera sensor can shoot at a much higher resolution for stills than for movies it has to throw out horizontal lines for 1080p and even more for 720p. So from my previous tests I have noticed that 720p will show aliasing more than 1080 so that is why I choose to shoot in 720p in this test to show the ...

0 comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

Burlile.Correra8004@gmail.com
View my complete profile
Powered by Blogger.